Media High Notes: December 2022January 18, 2023
From previews to reviews to interviews and more, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra regularly receives interesting and insightful media coverage from a wide variety of sources. Here’s a summary of our most recent and notable press:
The Toronto Star devoted a full page of its Culture section to our Music Director, with two articles written by Michael Crabb—an in-depth profile of Gustavo Gimeno, on the heels of his five-year contract extension, and an exploration of his approach to conducting our Messiah performances for the first time last year.
- TSO’s Honeymoon with Conductor Gustavo Gimeno Leads to Longer-Term Commitment to 2029/30 (Toronto Star)
- TSO Conductor Gustavo Gimeno Embraces the Tradition of Handel’s ‘Messiah’—For the First Time in His Career (Toronto Star)
In a video interview with Arts Engines’ Aaron Dworkin, CEO Mark Williams explains how he sees his role (“supporting great artists making great music for a great community”) and talks about how the TSO, in the world’s most multicultural city, is exploring ways to “bring diversity to what we do, to serve this community.”
The TSO’s upcoming Valentine’s tour to our nation’s capital, the Big Apple, and the Windy City was covered by Anya Wassenberg for Ludwig van Toronto and Norman Lebrecht for Slippedisc—with the latter highlighting Music Director Gustavo Gimeno’s Carnegie Hall début.
- The Toronto Symphony Orchestra Hits the Road in February 2023 (Ludwig van Toronto)
- Toronto Books Carnegie Debut (Slippedisc)
Meghan Yuri Young of NowPlayingToronto.com conducted two enlightening interviews with TSO leaders:
CEO Mark Williams discusses the importance of mentorship, how Toronto is a city of “social generosity,” and the way art needs to be a mirror for audiences so they can “see themselves in what you do.”
- Reorchestrating Toronto’s Connection to Classical Music (NowPlayingToronto.com)
Barrett Principal Education Conductor & Community Ambassador Daniel Bartholomew-Poyser talks about “challenging institutional norms,” his favourite Toronto haunts, and what Beyoncé owes to Tchaikovsky.
- Shaking up the Symphony (NowPlayingToronto.com)
More December 2022 Media Coverage