The TSYO Manager & Education Assistant is responsible for the successful running of the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra (TSYO). This position is an integral part of the TSO Education Department, which develops and coordinates a variety of educational programming. The TSO is actively seeking to expand its Education and Community Engagement programs at this time. This position reports to the Director, Education & Community Engagement.
The TSYO Manager & Education Assistant is responsible for all aspects of the TSYO including:
- Coordinating and managing all concerts and performances, concerto competition, workshops, masterclasses and special projects & collaborations;
- Booking and supervising all rehearsals;
- Coordinating and running auditions;
- Coordinating and managing all aspects of the annual Camp Weekend;
- Coordinating and running TSYO tours and run-outs;
- Managing any staff or volunteers who assist with TSYO projects and concerts;
- Managing library and music preparation;
- Managing TSYO Social Media and producing content;
- Acting as Team Captain for Scotiabank Waterfront 5K Fundraising Event, or other fundraising projects;
- Liaising with Development staff regarding TSYO fundraising campaigns and donor relationships;
- Liaising with Marketing staff regarding TSYO promotional materials and concert programs;
- Managing Alumni communications and maintaining and updating the TSYO Alumni database;
- Managing the Vulnerable Sector Background Check program for the TSO Education Department;
- Managing long-term planning for the Youth Orchestra;
- Recording and updating information into the Orchestral Planning and Administration System (OPAS). Training will be provided to the successful applicant.
Management of the TSYO involves ongoing communication with the staff of the TSO, the TSYO conductors and coaches, and the TSYO musicians and parents.
The TSYO Manager & Education Assistant will also assist with the planning, monitoring, and delivery of all TSO Education activities. This includes assisting with open rehearsal duty, booking workshops for local and visiting schools, and responsibility in other program areas on an as-needed basis. Current programs include three weeks of School Concerts, Young People's Concerts (the TSO's Saturday children's series), and an open rehearsal program (Morning with the Toronto Symphony). Additionally, this position will support the development of the TSO’s Community Engagement programs including, but not limited to, community partnerships, workshops, and special events.
Other duties include a limited amount of concert duty for regular Toronto Symphony Orchestra concerts, in rotation with all Education & Community Engagement, Orchestra Operations, and Artistic Planning staff.
Flexibility in working hours is required including a combination of regular weekday office hours in addition to Saturday afternoon rehearsals, and occasional Sundays and evenings based on the TSYO and TSO schedule of rehearsals, concerts, and other activities. The TSYO season typically runs from early September through to late April/early May.
The skills and experience required for this position are as follows:
- Two or more years of experience in a closely related field.
- Significant background and training in music is essential. Knowledge of orchestral music is an asset.
- Experience working with youth and/or young and emerging artists
- Applicant should be an energetic, self-motivated individual with strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and respond calmly to challenging situations.
- Reliable, creative, and respectful, possessing sound judgment and the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills are mandatory including Word, Excel, Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign in particular), and Social Media Platforms.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Driver's license is required.
This is a full-time position commencing as soon as possible.
Please email or mail resume and cover letter to: Toronto Symphony Orchestra, c/o Susana Almeida 500-145 Wellington Street West, Toronto, ON M5J 1H8 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line of emailed applications must contain: TSYO Manager & Education Assistant
Applications must arrive by 4:00pm on Friday, September 28, 2018. Only candidates being offered interviews will be contacted and that will be done by Monday, October 1, 2018. Please note that first round interviews will be conducted on Thursday, October 4, 2018.
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. The TSO is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, the TSO will work with you to meet your needs. While the TSO thanks all applicants for their interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
About the TSYO: For more than 40 years, the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra (TSYO) has been dedicated to providing a high-level orchestral experience for talented young musicians aged 22 and under. The TSYO program delivers a unique, powerful, and life-enriching opportunity that encourages significant achievement, regardless of the career path participants choose to pursue. The TSYO has a close affiliation with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO): TSO musicians serve as coaches through the season, TSO guest artists lead masterclasses for TSYO members, and the TSYO performs annually with the TSO in a side-by-side concert at Roy Thomson Hall. www.tso.ca/TSYO.
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is looking for dynamic and passionate telefundraisers to start immediately.
Right here in our city, this national treasure has been bridging the gap and levelling the playing field for all students through diverse music-education programs for decades!
We are looking for passionate fundraisers to share our love of classical music and promote our charitable initiatives to our patrons—initiatives such as our music education, the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra, artistic excellence and new Canadian works, and ticket accessibility.
The ideal candidate: This opportunity is perfect for mature, professional, and articulate lovers of classical music!
Interested applicants please call Lena at 416.202.6898.
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. The TSO is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, the TSO will work with you to meet your needs. While the TSO thanks all applicants for their interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Give to the TSO
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is a charitable organization that relies on the support of its vibrant community to deliver outstanding programming and music education.Donate Today
Get insider access to Toronto Symphony Orchestra news, ticket offers, community programs, and more.Sign up