The Toronto Symphony Orchestra (TSO) is inviting applications for the position of Affiliate Composer, to begin during the 2018-19 season. The Affiliate Composer will work closely with Interim Music Director Sir Andrew Davis, TSO Composer Advisor Gary Kulesha, the artistic staff, and the musicians of the TSO. This two-year position includes opportunities to write works for the full orchestra, to interact with international visiting composers and to participate in the TSO’s extensive education programs. Critical training in program planning, orchestra operations, marketing, public relations, education, and development activities will be provided to the Affiliate Composer to enhance understanding of a professional orchestra. The Affiliate Composer will also have a role in promoting and representing the work of the TSO. In addition to involvement with the selection and programming of contemporary music, the Affiliate Composer will also have a role in promoting and advocating for the creation and performance of Canadian and contemporary music. While no age requirement is mandated, it is expected that this position will be filled by an emerging composer who has already demonstrated substantial accomplishment in the Canadian orchestral world.
For detailed information and history of the TSO visit tso.ca/about-TSO.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- All applicants for the position of TSO Affiliate Composer must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Although full-time residency in Toronto is not required, it is expected that the Affiliate Composer be present in Toronto on a regular basis for committee meetings and for all weeks in which contemporary works are performed plus for selected Educational and Community Engagement programs.
- Candidates should have completed their training.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability and desire to connect with audiences to speak for the music and the orchestra are expected.
- Candidates should have experience working with professional orchestras; a working knowledge of Canadian and international contemporary orchestral repertoire is essential.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include:
- Letter of interest (maximum one page) addressed to: Toronto Symphony Orchestra Affiliate Composer Search Committee
- Full curriculum vitae (maximum 5 pages) which includes:
- contact information
- educational background
- three professional references with contact information
- A complete list of compositions, including information about past and further performances of works plus any discography or publications (if applicable)
- 2 scores with recordings
- Applications can submitted online via the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/7fMxOiiUbADZckLLrNxa or mailed to the following address: Toronto Symphony Orchestra at 145 Wellington Street, Suite 500, Toronto, ON M5J 1H8.
*All written application materials must be submitted in one single file. Only PDF documents will be accepted.
NOTE: The search committee will receive all applications for the position in confidence.
- Applications must be submitted no later than: Monday, April 9, 2018 at 5pm EST
- The search committee will include Sir Andrew Davis (TSO Interim Artistic Director), Gary Kulesha (TSO Composer Advisor), musician representatives of the TSO and TSO staff.
- Live interviews for finalists will take place in Toronto on June 4, 2018.
- The audition process will include an interview with the search committee and a written exercise.
- The successful candidate will be notified on June 8, 2018 with a public announcement to follow.
- September 17, 2018 through June 30, 2020
- Compensation will be discussed at the time the position is offered
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is looking for dynamic and passionate telefundraisers to start immediately.
Right here in our city, this national treasure has been bridging the gap and levelling the playing field for all students through diverse music-education programs for decades!
We are looking for passionate fundraisers to share our love of classical music and promote our charitable initiatives to our patrons—initiatives such as our music education, the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra, artistic excellence and new Canadian works, and ticket accessibility.
The ideal candidate: This opportunity is perfect for mature, professional, and articulate lovers of classical music!
Interested applicants please call Lena at 416.202.6898.
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. The TSO is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, the TSO will work with you to meet your needs. While the TSO thanks all applicants for their interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Give to the TSO
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is a charitable organization that relies on the support of its vibrant community to deliver outstanding programming and music education.Donate Today
Get insider access to Toronto Symphony Orchestra news, ticket offers, community programs, and more.Sign up